27 March 2006

Doctor's hours?

An acquaintance of mine is scheduled to have knee surgery in a few weeks, time of day: 6am. I've had a few surgeries myself along the road and they've all been scheduled at similarly god-awful hours. That means Dr. EverythingsGonnaBeAlright has to be up at the crack of 4am to scrub up and drive through for his Egg McMuffin. If I had scratched and clawed my way through medical school and a surgical residency I can tell you, I would not be getting up at 4am to go to work. In fact, the entire time I was pulling my 72 hour on-call shifts, I'd be saying to myself "I won't have to get up at 4am, I won't have to get up at 4am, there's no place like...", well, you get the idea. And frankly, I'm not real sure I want someone cutting me open who got up three hours before dawn. The last time I was cut open, the doctor came over to, you know, do his little bedside manor skit and ask if I had any questions. I told him "just one, doc,... did you get enough sleep last night?" He laughed, which is more than I could do at 6am, so I figured we were good to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home